I have always been interested in doing a blogger swap of some sort, and the #CCBeautySwap, hosted by a fellow K-State alum Crystal Cattle, looked especially fun. Up until now I either wasn’t very active on my blog or had some other excuse. Needless to say, I was very excited to participate.
My interest in makeup and beauty products has always been on a roller coaster. Growing up I was a dancer so I had a bit of an earlier introduction to it and I couldn’t wait until I was old enough to wear makeup outside of dance. Hair products were a different story. My hair was thick, curly and usually really frizzy, so I started teaching myself to style and take care of it fairly early. But I also started to get psoriasis on my skin and scalp when I turned 14, so most of high school was a struggle just trying to figure out what products worked for me. Through college, I cared less and less, unless I was going out on the weekend #teamnosleep. Now that I live in DC though, my interest has jumped again because being fully “put together” is a bit more of a standard. I enjoy it though, because I really believe in the mantra that looking and feeling your best helps you perform better.
Anyway, for my first swap I was paired with Lacey, a farm girl and high school teacher from Arizona. Lacey blogs over at Calamity Lace, (LOVE her blog name) and just based on our few conversations and scrolling through her posts, I could definitely see us being friends outside of the blogger world! I shared with Lacey that I have mostly worn Mary Kay because my Mom sells it, and that even though I still really like it, I wanted to venture out and try some new brands.
1. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer – The main thing I told Lacey I was interested in trying was a concealer. We chatted about the fact that we both have (and like) our freckles but that we need something that conceals, yet blends in well with our natural skin. To quote Lacey’s email, this concealer “Is Everything!”…and though I don’t have anything to compare it to, I TOTALLY AGREE, and already know that I will be buying it again. I received it in the “Light Warm” tone and it was a perfect match for this time of year.
2. Josie Maran Argan Black Oil Mascara – I laughed when I opened the box and saw two mascaras (other below.) I am pretty married to the mascara I use from Mary Kay but since I am going home to Oregon soon I didn’t want my Mom to have to send me a box and I was struggling to make my current tube last. Perfect timing! Both came in black, which is a bit outside my comfort zone ( I wear black/brown) but I was surprised that I did like the change. Overall, I’m torn on which brand I liked better. This one applied better a bit better, but I thought they both were great for volume and lasting throughout the day.
3. Benefit Cosmetics Air Patrol BB Cream Eyelid Primer – To be honest I haven’t tried this one yet, because I haven’t stopped using the one featured below…
4. Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo and Conditioner – I am OBSESSED with the surf spray from this brand, so I was really excited when I saw these in the box. Gals, I just used this last night, and my hair SMELLS SO GOOD! I currently use the DevaCurl brand and only wash my hair about twice a week because of its dry texture, but like that brand, I liked that this shampoo doesn’t have a lather and is more of a cleanser. On Day 1 of “new hair” it is particular soft, but I’ll have to wait and see what it is like on Day 3 to make a better judgement.
5. First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads – I regularly exfoliate and have always liked the idea of using a toner in my routine, but my psoriasis has always made both of those a constant battle. I already love this radiance pads. I’ve had a psoriasis breakout along my hairline all week but continued to use these around those areas with no irritation, and I did think that my face was a bit more balanced and definitely refreshed.
6. Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer – I’ve never used a face primer and I don’t know if I have used this long enough to notice what it is doing, but I love that it is light and has a light coconut scent. Based on the name, maybe I should have had this in college for both studying hangovers and real ones…
7. Too Faced Shadow Insurance – I’ve never used an actual eyelid primer. In the summer when its humid is the only time I find that my makeup really struggles to stay on the way I applied it, so in the past I always just used a bit of foundation, which never really worked great and it was heavy. So far I love this stuff and I feel like my eye shadow goes on more smoothly. Excited to see how it holds up in the summer.
8. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara – See above.
9. Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick – I told Lacey that I always love a good lip color and love trying out new kinds. This ones name is definitely true to form. It goes on more like a gloss but definitely has the finish of a lipstick. She sent me the “Fig” color, which is a bit out of my wheelhouse of tones, but again, she knew best and I really like it!
10. Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer – I’m pretty sure that the bronzer/blush pack that I got Lacey, also had this kind in it. Since I don’t like to wear a lot of heavy makeup on my face, bronzer tends to be my jam. I loved how light this was and how well it finished. AND it faintly smells like chocolate, which weirded me out first but I surprisingly liked it.
Lacey, you did a fabulous job with my gift, thank you! I know you are much more knowledgeable about makeup than I am and it definitely showed by your choices and pushing me out of my comfort zone a bit. Teach me your ways!
Check out others’ posts from the swap using the hashtag #CCBeautySwap.